Laurie and her husband Dennis make their home in rural Long Prairie. Sixteen years as an elementary and junior high teacher helped prepare her for a transition to youth ministry. She spent eight years working for her local church. Her passion is to encourage and equip those around her to build relationships with others and with Christ. She also has a heart for women’s ministry and is eager to walk alongside Lisa in planning and leading these events. Laurie is very, very organized and is ready to help you find the answers to all your inquiries about Camp.
Get to know a little more about Laurie through her answers to the following questions:
- What’s your favorite color?
- If you could take a trip anywhere, where would you go?
It doesn’t matter where, as long as it is with family.
- What is your favorite food? Least favorite?
Chocolate is my favorite. Beets are yucky (sorry).
- What do you do for fun when you’re not a camp?
I am a quilter. Currently, I have NINE projects going!
- If you ruled the world, what would you change on Day 1?
No more allergies to anything. Argh, my spring allergies have recently flared up.
- What was the last really great book you read?
Beautiful Battlefields by Bo Stern
- Do you volunteer anywhere?
I volunteer at church for a variety of things
- Who was the most influential person in your life?
- What is one piece of advice you would give others about life?
Stay in the Word and surround yourself with others who do the same.
- What is the best part of working at Camp?
Guests, I love the guests! And, I really enjoy working alongside the staff in preparation for guests! Did I mention guests?
- In your own words, what is your job description?
My job title is Office Manager and Women’s Ministries Assistant. As office manager, I strive to equip the staff to do what they do best and to see that the business elements of camp run as smoothly as possible under the ministry. In addition, I have a heart for and a strong calling to women’s ministries. How lucky am I to be partnered with Lisa in the planning of Quilt, Women’s, Mother Daughter Grandma and Senior’s events!
- Describe an embarrassing moment.
One time I…. no, not that one. Oh yeah, not too long ago… no, not that one either. How about this one, back when I was younger… nope, I’ve wised up!
- What is a Bible verse that has meant a lot to you?
Sometimes (okay, more often than I’d like to admit) I like to be in charge. I take on too much, and this gets me in trouble. So, my go-to verse is Mathew 11:28-30: 28 “Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. 29 Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. 30 For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.”
- If you could add one thing (building/event/feature/anything/etc…) to camp and cost wasn’t a factor, what would it be?
I’d love to see an activity complex – gym, gathering/worship space, dining hall. And can we put the offices and a welcoming center in there too????
- What is one of your favorite jokes? (see picture)
16. What is one special moment you have experienced at camp?
Having only been on staff since August of 2015, it was when Bobber Bill said YES, we’d love to have you working with us!